The tools and guidance DoD contractors need to comply with DFARS/CMMC regulations.
The Department of Defense requires that vendors who do work for them properly secure controlled unclassified information (CUI). DFARS as the prior/current requirement is intended to maintain cybersecurity standards according to requirements laid out by NIST SP 800-171. The new requirement is the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) required to meet this security requirement. To meet the requirements, DoD contractors must provide adequate security and rapidly report cyber incidents. A DoD contractor would have to allocate a significant amount of man-hours to properly ensure that its business remains compliant with constantly evolving security requirements. Allow us to focus on providing enterprise grade tools and expert guidance to get you comfortable and confident CMMC compliance so you can focus on growing your business. Looking for a quick guide on cybersecurity audits for DoD contractors? Click the Download Guide button below.
Best Practices for CMMC Standards
Annual review of threat risks
Perform regular vulnerability scans
Managed Detection and Response
Employee cyber awareness training
Incident Response preparation
Gap analysis and remediation
Virtual CISO for guidance throughout the process
Complete "bird's eye view" security assessment
Security Information and Event Management
Proactive layered defense in depth security and maintenance program
Monitor, Detect and Remediate Threats
CMMC is Changing!
The Government actually listens and wanted to make compliance simpler and easier to follow.
In March 2021, the Department initiated an internal review of CMMC’s implementation, informed by more than 850 public comments in response to the interim DFARS rule.
In November 2021, the Department announced “CMMC 2.0,” an updated program structure and requirements designed to achieve the primary goals:
- Safeguard sensitive information to enable and protect the warfighter
- Dynamically enhance DIB cybersecurity to meet evolving threats
- Ensure accountability while minimizing barriers to compliance with DoD requirements
- Contribute towards instilling a collaborative culture of cybersecurity and cyber resilience
- Maintain public trust through high professional and ethical standards
CMMC 2.0 Overview
- Level 1 (Foundational): for companies with FCI only; information requires protection but is not critical to national security
- Level 2 (Advanced): for companies with CUI
- Level 3 (Expert): for the highest priority programs with CUI
Telling the truth is critical. Every three years, the government will ensure that you’re not lying on your self-assessment. In short, you can’t get away with not taking it seriously.
- Higher accountability: Increases oversight of professional and ethical standards of third-party assessors
- Spirit of collaboration: Allows companies, under certain limited circumstances, to make Plans of Action & Milestones (POA&Ms) to achieve certification
- Aligned with widely accepted standards: Uses National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) cybersecurity standards
- Focused on the most critical requirements: Streamlines the model from 5 to 3 compliance levels
- Reduced assessment costs: Allows all companies at Level 1 (Foundational), and a subset of companies at Level 2 (Advanced) to demonstrate compliance through self-assessments
- Added flexibility and speed: Allows waivers to CMMC requirements under certain limited circumstances
Will CMMC 2.0 Put You Out of Business?
CMMC 2.0 is the next step in cybersecurity requirements for federal defense contractors and their downstream contractors and suppliers.
Questions we hear:
- Am I exempt?
- Can I just wait until the details come out?
- Can I wait until they force me?
- What happens if I do nothing now?
- Can I bid on contracts if I am not compliant?
- What do I need to do to get “certification ready”?
Get answers to these questions and more when you join Kyber Security for an exclusive webinar to learn how to best prepare your business for the upcoming changes!